May 31, 2010

My Yellow Ribbon

This is a very cherished item of mine. It is not something picked up at a tag sale, or bought on e-bay, but rather it is something that stands for hope and answered prayers. It is the yellow ribbon that was tied for 10 months around a maple tree in our front yard while my son served in Afghanistan and then in Iraq.

I wonder if someday, someone will open a trunk and find this amongst other things of mine and ponder on what it was and then throw it in the trash as something without value. For me it is something invaluable, as it is for so many other families of soldiers who are on forgein land. It may well be the only thing we have to hang onto in hopes that our deployed love one will return safely home again.
This is me hugging my son upon his return home.
Today, amongst the picnicking and parades, I will first and foremost be thinking of those that have served and continue to serve, and their families and friends. I will think of those that have given the ultimate sacrifice for their country and be proud to call myself an American.

4 comments:

  1. sylviacater@yahoo.comMay 31, 2010 at 8:18 AM

    Love your writings Lisa. Just adore them.
    Love, sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made me cry! Enjoy your day:)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should frame the ribbon with a photo of you and your son so that the person who opens that trunk will know how precious the ribbon is. Your post was so touching and inspirational. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Making Changes that's a great idea. I will put it someplace where its significance can not be denied.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each and every one of your comments. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails