August 23, 2010

Vintage American Girl Magazines bring Back Memories

I have spent this morning putting some American Girl Magazines from the 1950's up on E-Bay. I have enjoyed having these, but need to let them go to new homes.

While I was taking photos for e-bay a few ads brought back memories for me. In the summer of 1969 when I was 10 years old, my friend Karen W. took this offer up and sold greeting cards.
We went door to door and sold these "lovely" cards to neighbors and friends. The biggest memory I have of this escapade, is being yelled at by a lady we called on for "being mean to her daughter". The daughter was six years older than we were and we only knew the girl in passing. I think we snickered at her for some reason. We were sent off with our tails between our legs and feeling sorry for this girl for having what we thought of as "The Wicked Witch" for a mother.

Karen W. remembers that with the money she earned she bought a wooden tennis racket. I have no recollection of what I received or how much money I earned.

I was never that good at selling things. Too shy (although I guess not too shy to cause mental injury to a girl much older than I was).

Did you ever go door to door as a youngster selling things?

1 comment:

  1. I have a vague memory of some member of my family selling greeting cards, however, I took on the great task of selling SEEDS!!! Of all things, SEEDS!!! I can't believe that there was even a company that marketed a door to door seed selling program--I mean, where is the volume in that?! It obviously didn't leave much of an impression on me because I have absolutely no memory of money or goal satisfaction. Thankfully, it didn't deter me from future retail endeavors.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each and every one of your comments. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails