December 31, 2011

A Simple Ramble for the New Year

I am not one to make new years resolutions, but I do enjoy setting a few goals or pushing myself to learn something new each year. A few years ago after finding some UFO's from almost 20 years ago, I decided to start sewing, knitting and getting crafty again. All of this led to starting this website and turning to a more vintage lifestyle. I have been motivated and encouraged by many blogs and those who live a simpler life. My goal for this year is to start baking bread for our home, making our laundry detergent, knitting and sewing most everything we wear and being the best non-consumer I can be. When I go to flea markets or thrift stores, I am always blown away by how much 'stuff' there is in the world. I bet if NOTHING was manufactured as new we could live just fine with what we have on this earth right now. I detest that our society and government is based on the masses to consume more and more new 'stuff'. I already don't do the big box stores or chains stores and quite frankly don't really need anything, so why go and get pulled in? We will be putting in a garden this year and hopefully some fruit trees. Chickens? I would love them, but I have a feeling hubby would end up taking care of them and he has enough on his plate for now.


 I wish all of you the brightest and simplest of new years.

4 comments:

  1. I'm with you 100%. But how do you make laundry detergent?

    Happy New Year to the whole Sassy clan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear heavens how could I forget...I DO have a real new years resolution...to meet Peter Lappin in the flesh and hug him till he cries "uncle".

    Recipes for laundry detergent are all over the web. I will blog about it. You still need to purchase some store bought products but for the most part it is much more environmental and cost pennies. Hugs to you and Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful thoughts. I make my own laundry soap and it is so easy and convenient I will never go back! (There's a recipe on my blog: http://practiceintime.blogspot.com/2011/08/make-it-from-scratch-monday-laundry.html )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to try to be a non-consumer too. Of course this will be made easier since I just got a new computer and a new phone, so hopefully I'm set for awhile. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each and every one of your comments. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails