September 11, 2010

The Flag is Raised

A bit late in posting today, but wanted to share this. I went over to the new house to see how the floors came out (BEAUTIFUL) and then got side tracked, ADD (attention to delightful distractions) and started doing a little gardening. The outside front of the house needs some TLC so I trimmed back some ferns and then hubby said to not do anything else because he needs to replace some siding which has rotted.

I went back and forth a few times, getting the rake and wheelbarrow and as I passed by the flagpole, I swear I heard Mr. Rooney tell me to raise the flag today. It was as if he took over my being and I had to raise it in honor of those that died on 9/11 and the wars that followed. I had been waiting for Veterans Day to do this for the first time. I am happy I raised it today. There is also a light that shines on it and I will keep the flag up and lit until midnight tonight.
Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved homes and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heaven-rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, for our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner forever shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

I saw this quote this morning on the blog Elusive Reveries and loved it. My son signed ever letter home:
Land of the Free, Home of the Brave

Honoring all who have been touched by this day.

2 comments:

I appreciate each and every one of your comments. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails