August 14, 2010

Researching My Way Through the House

 This past week, I have gone over to the new house and found and interesting object within and then had to run home to the computer to research it. This leads to not getting much done, but learning lots of new things.

Researching the treadle has brought some interesting stuff. Although the machine is labeled "Review" as I stated in an earlier post, I saw other writing under it. Searching the web I find machines called "New Royal" and that name perfectly matched what appeared under the word "Review".

Further searching brought me to both the  "Illinois Sewing Machine Co." and The Free Sewing Machine Co.
There are two patent numbers on the wheel, but I have been too busy to look them up. On certain sites I have found the exact attachment box with the purple velvet lining and all the attachments.

In the drawer of the machine was a small piece of the manual showing some replacement parts. I need to match it up to the manual in the link above.


Nora Foley Rooney's Sewing Box
Doing a small amount of research we have found that the estate we bought the house from originally was owned by the man's father, Joseph Rooney, who came over from Ireland. Much of the furniture and "stuff" left behind seems to be of the era that would have been theirs, Joseph and Nora. The treadle, furniture and this lovely sewing box.
Although it does not show in the pictures here, beneath this top shelf were oodles of "old stuff" such as darning yarn, lots of hooks and eyes and bra clasps. There was even a self made pattern, made from brown paper bagging, that looks to be a bra. I need to study it more.

So much to uncover.  It can be somewhat overwhelming but also thrilling.

Thanks for all the lovely comments on my outfits. If you have not commented already and entered the giveaway, still lots and lots of time. 

Share the love.

2 comments:

  1. How exciting to have a whole house to explore! Look forward to hearing about some more of your finds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely, to have an adventure with the past! The house would seem to have gone to the very best of people. It's so wonderful to find the background of a home and the heart . This is going to be fun! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each and every one of your comments. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails