December 14, 2010

Lassie's Famous Holiday Cinnamon Swirl Bread

I have been making this bread for 20 or more years. Can't say I always use the same recipe, but this is what I did this year. This lovely cooking booklet came from the tag sale I spoke about a few days ago. It is really detailed in how to make bread. I just love the illustrations.

DSCF1247

DSCF1248
DSCF1249
 I use the sponge method for making this bread. It takes a bit longer, but I feel it gives the best results, especially if you are new to making bread.
 DSCF1250
Once the sponge has been setting for an hour or so, it will begin to bubble like in the video below. 
When this happens you know the yeast is alive and well and will rise beautifully in the oven.


About a half hour into the proofing, mix the scalded milk with sugar, salt and I use butter instead of shortening. It needs to be lukewarm when added to the sponge otherwise the heat will kill the yeast. Remember yeast is a living thing.
 Here is the dough after the  liquid and10 cups of flour have been added and it is ready to rise.
In the greased bowl ready for rising. You can see how small it is in the bowl.
DSCF1263
After is has risen.

 Filling
2 cups of brown sugar
4-6 TBLS cinnamon depending on your taste preference.
1/2/ cup melted butter.

DSCF1264
Roll the dough out width wise to the size of the bread pans you are using. 
Then roll it length wise to about 12 ". None of this has to be exact.
Start rolling the dough into a spiral from the short end and pinch the dough together firmly at seam and sides of dough. Place the dough seam side down into a buttered bread pan. Bake for 40 minutes in a 400 degree oven. Sometimes the filling overflows so you might want to place the bread pans on a cookie sheet.

 Ta-daaaaaaaaaaaaaa
DSCF1265
 I hope you enjoy this and make it a tradition in YOUR house.

3 comments:

  1. Oooooh, I love the smell of cooking bread, but mine is always more like rocks. Yours however look so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. Yum. Thanks for sharing this. Can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anything with cinnamon gets my vote! This sounds great!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each and every one of your comments. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails